Halcyon monitors and analyses key markets, competitors, clients, issues, trends and hot topics. Please contact us to discuss how our insights can help you create value.
Please see below selected recent intelligence about diversity. This is a synthesis of major recent developments at corporates business schools, thinktanks, media, commentators, and other key influencers.
- Does the gender of executives make a difference to business performance, asked the Financial Times? The evidence is mounting that it does, claimed the FT. In some developing economies, women are joining the top ranks of business management at the same pace as those in western countries. Click here to read more work and careers coverage.
- Investing in access to essential services and reducing the gap in labour-force participation rates could significantly expand the global economy by 2025. The McKinsey Global Institute's 'The power of parity: How advancing women’s equality can add $12 trillion to global growth' report focused on the enormous potential associated with narrowing the gender gap, and found that if every country did so at the same historical rate as the fastest-improving country in its regional peer group, the world could add $12 trillion to annual gross domestic product in 2025. That’s some 11% higher than it would be under the business-as-usual scenario.
- Bain & Company recently launched a study that asked more than 1,000 men and women in a mix of US companies two questions: “Do you aspire to top management within a large company?” and “Do you have the confidence you can reach top management?” Women with two years or less of work experience slightly led men in ambition. But for women who had more than two years on the job, aspiration and confidence plummeted 60% and nearly 50%, respectively. These declines came independent of marriage and motherhood status, and compared with much smaller changes for men, who experienced only a 10% dip in confidence.
The always eloquent Patrick Stewart excels himself in this passionate and moving response to a question about domestic abuse.
- Africa - how people are solving everyday problems in Africa through ingenuity.
- Gender - putting women on top of the global political agenda.
- Poverty - a major humanitarian organisation has begun blogging about its efforts to eliminate extreme poverty in the world